These are the history pieces which appeared in the Batley St. Mary of the Angels and Birstall St. Patrick’s bulletin during August 2026. As the parishes are jointly administered and a single bulletin produced, the history pieces are not solely focused on St. Mary of the Angels, although St. Patrick’s was not formed as a separate parish until 1905. Prior to that it was part of St. Mary’s.
As part of the St. Mary of the Angels One-Place Study I have written in more detail about some of these events, and where this is the case the link to the fuller piece is included.
01/02 August 2026
On 05 August 1923 a packed Batley United Irish League Club honoured James Brennan, its recently retired secretary. In his 25 years in post, he proved energetic in his role, and improved the club’s finances. One of the club’s oldest member, Thomas Gavaghan, made the formal presentation of a wallet and money. Musical entertainment was provided by Mrs. K. Sykes, Master Thomas Meagh, Mr. James Gavaghan, and Mr. Joe Lockwood, with Mr. Willie Ainley at the piano. Club President Michael Lynch stated the esteem in which he was held was evidenced by the numbers of members and lady visitors present for the occasion. James Brennan was heavily involved in politics, and consolidating the Irish vote in Batley, and John Phillips recalled that he said whenever the Irish accomplished self-government (which they did in 1922) he would be entitled to a rest from his work. He was succeeded as Secretary by J. T. Colleran.
Jane Roberts – Parish Historian, Website: https://pasttopresentgenealogy.co.uk
08/09 August 2026
On Tuesday 08 August 1933 St. Patrick’s parishioner Mr. William Patrick Gallagher (41) died suddenly on Low Lane, on his way to church. A member of the Confraternity of the Sacred Heart and the Parochial Committee of the church, he had been ill for some time. As a result, since 1931, he had been unable to work for his employers, Messrs. Douglas Lawson and Co.’s pulley works on Geldard Road. As recently as 05 August he had returned from the Leeds Diocesan Pilgrimage to Lourdes hopeful of being cured. He left a widow, Norah, and five children, including five-months’-old twins.
Jane Roberts – Parish Historian, Website: https://pasttopresentgenealogy.co.uk
15/16 August 2026
This week in 1959 St. Mary’s parish priest, Father Laurence Gallon, appealed to every wage-earning member of the parish to contribute one day’s wage to the church in order to meet the expected £4,000 cost of church alterations. Half of this would go towards the priority project of a balcony at the back of church holding 150, required to solve the accommodation problems. Benches were also needed for it. Sunday congregations were regularly around 2,000, and though the church seated 500 and four masses were held each Sunday, many parishioners were having to stand throughout the service. The situation at Holy Days of Obligation evening Mass was even worse, with seating for all proving impossible. Other planned improvements included an oil heating system.
Jane Roberts – Parish Historian, Website: https://pasttopresentgenealogy.co.uk
22/23 August 2026
On 23 August 1878, St Mary’s parishioner James Laden became the first patient admitted to Batley Cottage Hospital. This was a temporary facility on Norfolk Street which served as the town’s hospital until the opening of the Carlinghow Field Hill permanent hospital on 27 March 1883. A textile worker in his early 20s, James was employed at Messrs. John Jubb and Son’s Phoenix Mill. That morning, whilst removing dust from a fan behind a rag machine at which he was working, his smock got caught in the machine, ripping his left hand off just above his wrist. Drs. Stockwell, Bayldon and Keighley operated on him, amputating part of his arm. As a result of James’ surgery, the scheduled public viewing of the newly opened temporary hospital had to be cancelled.
Jane Roberts – Parish Historian, Website: https://pasttopresentgenealogy.co.uk
29/30 August 2026
The impressive memorial to the late Rev. Mother Mary, Superior at Birstall Roman Catholic Convent and Day Schools’ headmistress, who died on 31 July 1933, was dedicated after 11 o’clock Mass on Sunday 02 September by St. Patrick’s parish priest, Father John O’Sullivan. The memorial was a handsome figure of Our Lady of the Assumption.
Jane Roberts – Parish Historian, Website: https://pasttopresentgenealogy.co.uk