1915, 30 October – Batley News

This is a round-up of pieces from the Batley News this week relating to the parishioners of St Mary’s. As usual I have put in bold the names of those connected to the parish who served with the military. And, as ever, the spelling and punctuation matches that of the newspaper.

In Batley Court on Monday were the following:

George Carroll, Jacob Street, Woodwell, drunk and disorderly, fined 8s.

“NOW, NED IT’S TIME YOU SIGNED TEE-TOTAL,” said the Mayor to Edwin Rushworth, labourer, Taylor Street, Batley, who, with 17 previous convictions, was fined 6s. for being drunk on licensed premises. —Defendant denied being drunk, and said he went into the public house to seek a man who owed him money. Subsequently he went out shopping for his wife. “A man can’t be drunk if he can buy in for Sunday,” declared defendant’s wife. “If he had been drunk I shouldn’t have trusted him with the money to go along the street with.”

The death notices recorded the following:

MANNING. —On the 25th inst., aged 57 years, Michael Manning, 39, Bradford Road, W.

Michael Manning was the father of War Memorial man Clement Manning, along with Cecil and Michael who both served and survived.

Another death featured in the general Batley news snippets:

GRANDMOTHER’S GRIEF AT CHILD’S DEATH. —“Death from natural causes” was the verdict at an inquest on Monday on Annie Holohan, the two-years-old daughter of Private James Holohan (King’s Own Scottish Borderers), whose wife resides at 34, Peel Street, Batley. —Mrs. Coulson (the child’s grandmother) explained that, following pneumonia five weeks ago, deceased had a slight cough, but was otherwise quite well until last Friday afternoon. Witness was then nursing her, and the child began to cough and “stretched right out.” Witness screamed, and a neighbour (Mrs. Bower) entered the house. Witness handed the child to Mrs. Bower, in whose arms it died. “I made a god of the child,” witness added, in explaining her grief, “and I was sitting talking to her in front of the fire when this happened.” —Mrs. Bower, 87, Peel Street, said that when she entered the house Mrs. Coulson exclaimed, “The child is in a fit,” and handed it to witness, but it died in her arms almost immediately. — Dr. W. W. Walker, Talbot Street, explained that the child made a very good recovery from pneumonia. A post-mortem examinations showed it was a well-nourished child. Death was due to convulsions brought on by coughing.

Recruiting continued. John Gavagahan, of 10 Ambler Street, enlisted in Dewsbury with the King’s Own Scottish Borderers. The following men attested at the Batley recruiting office:

Joseph Guider (24), piecener, Victoria St., Carlinghow, Yorkshire Regiment.
John Walsh (28), cloth finisher, Wellington Street, R.E.

John William Howard apparently spent a brief time in St Mary’s parish, presumably when he lived on Dark Lane as a child. However, he was more associated with Batley Carr and St Paulinus. I have included him here because of the newspaper reference. However, until I have more evidence, I have not yet included him on the list of those associated with the parish who died but who are not on the War Memorial.


Batley Carr Terrier’s Death in French Hospital.
After lingering for a month in hospital, with gunshot wounds in the head, Private John William Howard, who went out with the local Territorials (1st/4th K.O.Y.L.I.) and was later transferred to the Royal Engineers, has passed away. He lived in King Street, Batley Carr, which his mother, and when war broke out had served for 6½ years in the Territorials.

Some time ago he went into hospital ill, and on returning to duty was wounded. Five weeks since he was admitted to Wimereux General Hospital, his mother receiving a telegram to that effect the same day. Later a letter was received from the superintendent of the hospital, saying the patient was semi-conscious, and a second letter read, “Your son asked me to write to you. He was much pleased to get your letter. He is slightly improved, and we hope that before long he may be able to come home in one of the hospital ships, if he goes on well.” A third letter, however, intimated that the soldier’s condition was worse, and he passed away after being nursed a month.

Before the war, deceased was a miner at Soothill Wood Colliery, and for a time worked at Shaw Cross Colliery. He was associated with Batley and Westtown Roman Catholic Churches.

John William Howard

Finally for this week there was news of Steven Walsh, brother or War Memorial man Richard Carroll Walsh, who is also mentioned in the piece.

Batley Artilleryman Amid Shells and Galloping Horses.

Driver Steven Walsh, R.F.A., writes to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Walsh, 55, Brownhill Road, Batley:

I am still living, but only a miracle saved me from going under. We were to go through a certain place, and it was about 12 o’clock at night when we reached it. Whilst the Germans were shelling the place, one shell burst about five houses’ length away, and another about a dozen yards to the right of us. We went through at a gallop, for our horses were mad. Our men made a big attack on the German lines, driving them back a long way, and we took a lot of prisoners.

Driver Walsh’s brother Carrol, who has been in Gallipoli with the Marines, has been in hospital for a short time with neurasthenia, but is now fully recovered.